The lyrics from one of my Durium records seemed appropriate for this blog post. Today I got to speak as part of the LSJ's graduate panel of people employed in the media after their time at university. Perhaps it's because we do have that little extra something.
I know that in previous blog posts I have expressed an immense amount of frustration at the slow progress that wasn't being made in my recent life, however when I was sitting in front of the projector glare and a sizeable bunch of eager students it made me realise just how lucky I am.
I guess the first realisation came when we were herded into the SirenFM studios, to be interviewed by a rather eager MA student about what advice we'd give for people wanting to get in to broadcasting. A quick trip to the pub later, and we were sat infront of the lecture hall full of students.
The questions were quite run of the mill. If I'm honest, I did gloss over that work is incredibly hard, fighting for hours is hard, and I tried to concentrate on the positive side of things. Let's not shatter any bubbles just yet, eh? Seeing all my tutors as a graduate and media employee was also a wonderful experience, I genuinely feel like most of them are proud parents now. It also reminds me that I should keep in the loop with them more often, since they really do have the best knowledge that I need.
The main thing that I've found useful about today is just to get a sense of perspective for how far I've come. This time last year I was one of those students sat in the lecture hall, wondering if I would ever make it on to that stage myself. I was going to the BBC Lincolnshire placement scheme apparently in awe of what the breakfast team were doing there, and now look what I do!
I still have an awful long way to go, but I remember saying to Sam - "I know if I get invited back that I will have made it in life". Perhaps I was correct?
No comments:
Post a Comment