Has it really been a whole month since I wrote the last one of these? I do actually find it quite theraputic doing my blog, and I am very impressed that I managed to keep it going so long. I am sure in years to come it will be nice to look back.
In any case, quite a lot happened since my last post, most notably my graduation. I just had an amazing time, the sun was shining and it was nice to reflect on the sheer amount of effort that I put in to the last three years. On the downside, it was very windy and my badly sized hat kept wobbling or blowing off which made for some amusing photographs. Looking back on the sun setting over the Brayford Pool, it really did feel like my time in Lincoln had come to and end for good. I hope I will be back there one day, I'd like to visit and see how the university has grown since I left.
So back to York I went, and it seemed like my graduation was a world away, even though it was just a few weeks ago. I think I am settling in here now, the street layouts aren't as foreign to me any more and I'm starting to get on top of local knowledge. That being said, I just feel very lonely here. Not in a depressing "woe is me" sense, but leaving a very active social circle to a completely new town is very hard. I am feeling like I belong to the team at Radio York, in that there's plenty to talk about with them - but I miss having really good friends like the ones I had back in Lincoln. Coming home in the evening and just having your mum to speak to - whilst perfectly acceptable - is just frustrating really. I'd like to have some friends my age but I need to figure out how to meet them!
Things are equally as frustrating at work. After a month of praises being sung and general compliments, it seems "all forgotten now" (to quote Al Bowlly) - and the show I currently work on will end on Christmas Day. It will be very difficult to get in to commercial because I don't drive, I cannot afford to since I don't yet earn enough money. It's going to be difficult to get on in the BBC without more experience which is difficult to get because of the competition...it all seems a bit Catch 22 to me. I'm going for jobs in retail to keep the money flowing in, or more precisely to start the money flowing in! If it wasn't for my mum supporting me I wouldn't be able to afford to live in York.
I do realise how fortunate I am to have the proverbial "foot in the door", and to be making contacts - but given the recent fast pace of development in my life, things seem to have recently stalled. There's still a few things I am working on, so I guess watch this space...

No comments:
Post a Comment