Monday, 29 November 2010

"If I can't call you my own, I'd rather be all alone / than be with somebody else"

I can thank Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra for that lyric.

Moving swiftly on...

Has it already been 5 days since I last blogged? Time flies by when you're er...not blogging.

The Passage of Time
Photo: Tony Verdu Carbo (TonyVC on Flikr)


I've recently been giving a great deal of thought to how I spend my personal life. For whatever reason, I find myself sat in the house most nights feeling lonely. The life of a student is such that the hours are so irregular - and when I am at home, it's usually just to eat or sleep.

However, it's when I am home for the weekend and Jamie has his boyfriend over that I am reminded again how bad the romantic side of my life has been since I've come to university. I have yet to meet someone who I clicked with instantly.

-DISCLAIMER- This blog will not turn in to one of these "Woe is me, I'm all alone (and quite possibly desperate) blogs, because I'm not like that.


Gay love will save the world
Photo: QueenSunshine

A good man in my mind must be:

-Clever
-Cute
-Intelligent
-Well read
-Humoured
-Kind
....and above all - not sexually promiscuous!

The problem is with this is that I honestly don't believe that Lincoln has this. The culture I know seems very...superficial. People I know who are in relationships cheat, flirt with others - and those who aren't get around quite a bit.

Of course, it would be rude and ignorant of me to make such sweeping generalisations, and in the interest of fairness I know a few people who aren't like that at all!

Herein lies the problem. A few weekends ago, I went to Leeds to celebrate the lovely Chris Cook's birthday shindig. I met the most lovely man. Let's call him "Dave". I had never met anyone like him before. We sparked like that (and I do recall after 30 minutes discussing Burmese politics!)

I left Leeds feeling more alive then I'd been in a while - however also very upset. Dave's job sees him travel all over the country, and as much as I would like to get to know him better, in reality given our workloads and distance this isn't possible.
I do however feel confident we will remain good friends - it would be criminal not to be.

It looks like it's back to the proverbial drawing board for me. After all, if people tell me I'm a nice guy - then it must be worth waiting for, right?


Leeds City Station
Photo: James Holden

No comments:

Post a Comment