I've been mulling over a phone call that I took at BBC Radio Lincolnshire on Sunday. The call was from a very elderly gentleman, he's 89 now and has a string of health complaints. I gather he has lost a leg and is now confined to a wheelchair.
What is remarkable was the life he has lead when we talked. He knew Nat Gonella personally for many years since the 1930s, and was on the Normandy beaches on D-Day. He has amassed a huge collection of 78s, and other records - and regularly calls Howard's programme to request items.
As usual when people call up the radio station I ask them "how are you", but every time this gentleman is asked that, his reply is "not too well I'm afraid, I've got so many health complaints". I get the sense his current health situation makes him terribly upset - and he did hint at it one time we spoke, telling me "despite all my bad health, the jazz keeps me happy".
Yesterday was my final shift on Howard's programme, and this gentleman rang in once again. He left me with his phone number, and said that I am welcome to visit if I am ever in the area, but that he didn't have much time left given his poor health. He also said that when he dies he will have to find a home for his collection, something he has not been successful with so far, and hinting that I might be interested in going to take a look.
This presents me with a few dilemmas. To begin with, his home in Mablethorpe is extremely difficult to get to given that I don't drive at the moment.
Secondly, I don't have the space to house a collection of a few thousand records.
Thirdly, I could make my way there and cherry pick the best ones but then I'd still be leaving him with a massive collection.
I get the sense that his collection will go to waste when he eventually dies, and I would dearly love to help his plight and say "yes I'll take all those records off you". I want to call him back but I don't want to get torn with the hope that I could possibly help him.
Do I call him again? Do I try and make arrangements for his record collection? Is there anything I can do for him?
No comments:
Post a Comment