Coming back home was a pretty big upheaval. Not only did I have to deal with jetlag, but I also had to move in to my house and start university – all in three days. Initially it felt like a backwards culture shock. Gone were the American accents, the yellow taxis of New York City and the George Washington dollar bills. Instead I found myself dealing with people who sounded strange to me, trying not to get run over as I looked the other way to cross the road and seeing the Queen’s head everywhere.
Return jetlag was an usual experience. I had attempted to get a few hours sleep on the plane, which did work, and it kept me going until around 2pm that day. After that time I completely crashed and had to be guided around the supermarket by Emma. All I can remember is looking at things on the shelves in the supermarket and not being able to understand what the writing meant. I think I slept for about 14 hours that night, which was the best feeling in the world.
Of course, it goes without saying that the opportunity to see all my friends again was a lovely experience. It was comforting to know that they missed me, and the feeling was likewise with many of them. Seeing the cathedral of Lincoln was such a remarkable sight – I’d rather have that over all the skyscrapers and sights of New York City.
And yes, I miss a lot about the USA. Every day was an adventure, and it did open my eyes to a lot of things. I feel like I had changed so much when Lincoln was still the same. The same faces, the same shops, the same outrageous drinks costs in certain bars. I believe if I was out there any longer I would have found it more difficult to adjust, the US way of life is addictive and it sucked me in. Lincoln just felt so bland by comparison.
In any case, it’s good to be back and doing my degree again. The journalism gang made my return so worthwhile, and I've got a tonne of memories to remind me of how much I've changed. My American Dream is over, now to get a 1st this year in my degree!
Hey, I've got a job at Story Land this Summer through BUNAC and I googled it and your blog came up. Just wanted to say that I loved reading all the stuff about your time there and it's made me even more excited to go!! Thanks! Roisin x
ReplyDeleteHey Roisin - I had no idea that next year's BUNAC students might actually read this! I had a wonderful time and I do often miss that place. The work will be hard and it will be very hot but I can say for certain that you will have an amazing time.
DeleteI'm still in contact with a lot of the friends I made there, and some of them are even coming to visit soon. Here's a little hint for you - make good friends with the workampers. Those guys are legends, they took care of me when I was very ill, and I was welling up when I said goodbye to them at the end of the summer!
I only wish I was going back, but that would spoil the great memories I made last year. Have fun! x
Thanks! Do you have any pictures of the accommodation? Thanks for all your info! x
ReplyDeleteI'll have a look and see what I can find. I took some photos of inside the chalet (the communal area) when we had some social stuff, as far as I remember my room was a bit of a tip so I didn't photograph it. There are two blocks of accommodation, all of them are the same since it used to be a motel. There are two double beds, some hanging space and some shelving. Each room has an AC (which you'll need when it gets really hot) and there's an ensuite bathroom. All the bedding and towels are provided so you don't have to worry about bringing any yourself.
DeleteThe communal area has a downstairs which is a converted garage with some kitchen space and some tables and chairs. There's also a lot of fridge space down here. Upstairs is the computer room (with two very creaking old computers. The wifi is connected to it so don't turn them off!) a room off the left of the stairs with some gym equipment and some old toys. We never went in there since the gym stuff was broken, but it made a nice room to watch The Apprentice away from the main room. The main room has a kitchen and living area, the all important telephone (you can receive international calls, and make local ones from it), a very ancient TV (you'll see what I mean when you arrive), and a few sofas. We put a table football in there when we were living in it, and it was just a nice place to come and socialise after work. We had quite a few parties there and had to be told off by security haha!
Oh great, thanks for all the help! Don't worry about the photos if you don't have any! Did you take a mobile with and use an American sim or just get a phone there? Sorry for all the questions! I arrive at Story Land on 15th June, can't believe how soon it is :) x
ReplyDeleteI did have a mobile with me, but I didn't get an American sim, which I did regret - as I had a hefty phone bill when I returned. You think that the odd text here and there won't stack up but it really does. I remember having to turn my phone antanna off so that I could use the wifi in the house, as mine kept trying to use the mobile internet.
DeleteIf you can manage without a phone until your first shopping trip then I'd highly recommend buying a pay as you go phone on the cheap from Wal Mart and then discarding it when you leave. A lot of the Brits last year did just that.
You should get an email telling you what to bring soon from Danielle (who is lovely by the way! Please mention my name to her and Tiffany when you see them - they have fond memories of taking me to the hospital a lot haha) Whatever you do, don't forget the fly spray (or buy some there). You'll be going at the height of the black fly season and those things are nasty little biters!
Ah ok, thanks for the advice! Yeah, I had my Skype interview with Danielle and she was so nice. Oh no, the hospital?!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info x
Yes, I didn't want to scare you too much so I didn't mention it. In total I made 6 trips to the hospital, mainly from insect bites. Turns out I was allergic to the black fly, and whenever they bit me my legs swelled up. My eczema also returned with a vengeance because the water rides dried my hands out, as they were constantly being wet.
DeleteThat's why you have insurance, my visits came to $2,100 in total and I eventually managed to claim all of it back. But Danielle was a star, she went and sat with me in the Emergency Room when I was being pumped full of antibiotics, which was very reassuring during an obviously scary part of my trip over there. Tiffany was also a massive help, driving me to the pharmacy to pay for drugs, photocopying my insurance forms etc.
That's why a simple cheap can of fly spray can save you a trip to the hospital and a lot of pain. Once black fly season was over I could breathe a sigh of relief! I think I was just unlucky. The black fly did bite most people, but nobody had such a severe reaction that I did :(
Oh no, that's awful!! It's good that they were so helpful though! x
ReplyDeleteYes, they couldn't have looked after me better. I got one of the girls to send me some photos of her room - do you have an email address I can contact you on?
DeleteOh thanks so much! Yeah, roshies92@aol.com :)
DeleteThanks again! x