I decided that I'd blog about the state of the food in this country. And yes, you guessed it. It's not exactly the healthiest in the world.
The first thing which struck me when I went to Hannafords (the local supermarket) was the sheer lack of choice. If you want to look for food which isn't processed in some way, it's actually very difficult. I really am not joking. In a place where you can buy fried dough and make smores on a camp fire (a sandwich consisting of marshmallows, chocolate and crackers), it's no wonder that quite a few guests have trouble fitting themselves in to the seat belts of some rides.
Obesity really is a problem here, yet I can't see much of an effort to change things. This is super size country, a place where a small ice cream will be two large scoops. Many Americans I talk to freely acknowledge "this is why Americans are fat".
The one different thing I have noticed is the availability of organic foods - at a premium of course. Whereas in the UK the organic market is quite niche, it seems to be marketed over here as a real alternative to the processed crap.
I honestly worry about the state of the food that I'm eating, and the damage it is doing to me. Given how cheap petrol is, combined with the fact that people drive everywhere, and the poor quality food - it really is no wonder why so many people are "supersize"
So much American food looked somehow fake. Every time I see Lucky Charms somewhere in the UK I feel i'm getting a sugar headache just looking at them
ReplyDeleteThe UK should eat more smores though. Smores are good.